The Australian Student Visa
The Australia Student Visa allows international students to study full-time in Australia at recognized educational institutions.
It is a temporary visa that provides opportunities for academic and personal growth, cultural exchange, and access to high-quality education.
How it works
Student Visa Application Essentials
- The Australian Student Visa allows you to study at prestigious Australian institutions and gain a world-class education.
- You can work part-time during your studies and full-time during scheduled breaks, helping to support yourself financially.
- The visa provides opportunities to explore Australia’s diverse culture, landscapes, and attractions.
- To be eligible for an Australian Student Visa, you typically need to have been accepted into a registered course of study at an Australian educational institution.
- You must demonstrate sufficient funds to cover tuition fees, living expenses, and return travel costs.
- You must also meet health and character requirements and obtain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your stay.
- The cost of an Australian Student Visa varies depending on the type and duration of the course, as well as any additional services required.
- The base application fee for the Student Visa (Subclass 500) is approximately AUD $620. Additional costs may include health examinations, biometrics, and OSHC.
- To obtain an Australian Student Visa, you must first receive an offer of enrollment from an Australian educational institution.
- After receiving the offer, you will need to apply online for the visa through the Department of Home Affairs website.
- You will need to provide supporting documents, including proof of enrollment, financial capacity, health insurance, and English language proficiency.
How to apply
- The application process for an Australian Student Visa involves several steps, including creating an online ImmiAccount, completing the application form, and submitting the required documents.
- You may also be required to attend a visa interview and provide biometric data, depending on your country of residence.
- Yes, as an international student with an Australia Student Visa, you are generally allowed to work up to 40 hours per fortnight during the academic term and full-time during scheduled course breaks.
- Yes, you may be able to include your family members (spouse and dependent children) in your student visa application as accompanying family members. They will need to meet certain requirements and may have access to work rights and study opportunities.
- Yes, you are required to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire duration of your stay in Australia. OSHC provides medical and hospital insurance coverage.
- Yes, you may be eligible to apply for a new visa or extend your current visa to continue your stay in Australia after completing your studies. There are various options available, such as the Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) or skilled migration pathways.
- Yes, depending on your qualifications and the specific visa you hold, you may be eligible to work in Australia after completing your studies. The Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) is a common pathway for international graduates to gain work experience in Australia.
- Generally, international students need to provide proof of English language proficiency through tests like IELTS, TOEFL, or Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) unless exempted based on nationality or previous education in English.
- Yes, you can change your course or institution after obtaining an Australia Student Visa. However, you will need to notify the Department of Home Affairs and update your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) to ensure compliance with visa conditions.
- Yes, you can work full-time during scheduled course breaks, such as summer vacations or semester breaks, as long as you hold a valid Australian Student Visa.
- Yes, you can include your dependent children in your Australian Student Visa application. They will be granted the same visa subclass as you and will have the right to study in Australia.
- Processing times for Australian Student Visas vary depending on factors such as the country of residence and the completeness of the application. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to receive a decision.