The Australian Visit Visa
The Australia Visit Visa, also known as the Visitor Visa or Tourist Visa, allows individuals to visit Australia for tourism, and leisure, or to visit family and friends.
It is a temporary visa that permits a stay in Australia for a specified period.
How it works
Australia Visit Visa Application Essentials
- The Australia Visit Visa allows you to explore Australia’s natural wonders, vibrant cities, and cultural attractions.
- You can spend time with family and friends, attend special events, or participate in short-term courses or recreational activities.
- The visa allows for multiple entries within the validity period, enabling flexibility in planning your visit.
- To be eligible for an Australia Visit Visa, you must demonstrate genuine intentions to visit Australia for tourism or family purposes.
- You need to hold a valid passport from an eligible country and meet health and character requirements.
- You must have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay and have a return or onward travel arrangement.
- The cost of an Australia Visit Visa depends on the type and duration of the visa applied for.
- The Visitor (subclass 600) visa has different streams, and the base application fee ranges from AUD $145 to AUD $365.
- Additional costs may apply for other services such as health examinations or biometrics.
- To obtain an Australia Visit Visa, you can apply online through the Department of Home Affairs website or submit a paper application at an Australian embassy or consulate.
- You will need to complete the application form, provide supporting documents, and pay the applicable visa fee.
How to apply
- The application process for an Australian Visit Visa involves completing the online or paper application form accurately and honestly.
- You will need to provide supporting documents, such as a valid passport, evidence of sufficient funds, and details of your travel itinerary.
- Submit the application along with the required fee and any additional documents as specified in the application guidelines.
- The duration of stay depends on the type of Visitor Visa granted. The standard Tourist stream allows stays of up to 12 months, but shorter durations may be granted based on individual circumstances.
- No, the Visitor Visa does not allow for work or study in Australia. It is strictly for tourism, leisure, or visiting family and friends.
- In some cases, it is possible to extend your stay in Australia on a Visitor Visa. You must apply for an extension before your current visa expires, and approval is not guaranteed.
- While not mandatory, it is strongly recommended to have travel health insurance to cover any unexpected medical expenses during your visit to Australia.
- Each individual needs to apply for a separate Visitor Visa. However, family members can apply together and state their intention to travel together to Australia.
- Processing times for Visitor Visas vary, but most applications are processed within a few weeks. It is advisable to apply well in advance of your intended travel dates.
- If your main purpose is to receive medical treatment in Australia, you may be required to apply for a different visa, such as the Medical Treatment visa (subclass 602).
- Business-related activities, such as attending meetings, conferences, or exploring business opportunities, are typically allowed on a Visitor Visa. However, specific work-related activities may require a different visa.
- It is recommended to provide evidence of sufficient funds to cover your expenses during your visit to Australia. This can include bank statements, employment records, or other financial documents.
- Travel restrictions and entry requirements may apply due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It is essential to check the latest travel advisories and guidelines from the Australian government before planning your visit.